May 31, 2015

Old T-shirt bibs


I went through my closet the other day, and I found lots of old T-shirts that are (unfortunately) too small for me...I had been saving them for the time when I will lose that extra 20 lbs and will fit into them again. That was two moves ago and four years in between. I figured it was time to get rid of them.

Some of the shirts have special memories attached to them. I may have not told you, but I was an au pair in Boston for a year back in 1995-1996. (uhm...20 years ago. Yikes!) It has been one of the best experiences of my life. I should write a whole blog post about it. My second host family is family. They took me in like I was one of their own and treated me like family. I love them very much. And, I love the city of Boston. So, my two Boston T-shirts are very special to me.

This is my Boston T-shirt was bought from one of my many visits to the wonderful city of Boston. I had gone exploring my favorite spots in town and ended up in Quincy Market. There was a small souvenir shop that I happened to pop in, and I saw this T-shirt in there. I loved it right away because it was funny and not your regular boring BOSTON T-shirt.

My Boston Red Sox T-shirt I bought one summer when I was taking care of my host family's kids in between au pairs. The family's grandmother was a HUGE sports fan. She loved "her" Red Sox and Bruins. I would watch hockey games with her at night eating peppermint patties or drinking tea and eating the most delicious chocolate chip cookies. I tried to watch baseball games with her, and I appreciated her excitement for the game, but I never truly understood what was going on the field. And, it was soooooooooo slow. However, since I loved the city of Boston and my family very much, I wanted to show my support for the local team, so I ended up getting my very own Boston Red Sox T-shirt.

My San Francisco Giants T-shirt is special because I married into a family that are huge Giants fans. This also fixed the issue that I did not understand the game. I have since then spent hours and hours at the AT&T park or watching the game on TV. I even find myself turning the TV on to watch a game when hubby is not home. I must be a true fan now since I was taken to one of the World Series Games last year. I mean...not just anyone gets to go. So, T-shirt...since we are huge Giants fans in this family, there is no way that I could have just tossed the shirt into the trash can. OMG, no. Absolutely no. It would be like stomping on a flag. You just don't do it. (Or, at least I could have not told anyone about it. Like never.)

So, I couldn't get rid of these three shirts. Not yet.

Instead, I decided to make bibs out of them for my 13 month old. I had saved on Pinterest a blog post how to make bibs out of an old T-shirt. They are awesome.


The bibs are fun, soft, and perfect size. I made some of mine a bit bigger than the pattern so that I could get most of the text fit into the bibs. They cover Matilda very well. She is also pretty cute wearing them.


Rebecca Smith is the woman who came up with the pattern and idea. I printed her pattern for the bib and followed the wonderfully easy tutorial she had posted on the blog. Here is the link to the tutorial again: http://www.alittletipsy.com/2010/11/baby-week-shirt-bib.html


The bibs make me happy. I'm happy that she is now using my old T-shirts. I am happy that I don't need to clean up a huge mess after each meal. I am happy that I get to see these shirts. I am happy that I am upcycling. I am happy that I did not have to lose that 20lbs quite yet to fit into these old T-shirts.



1 comment:

  1. Tosi kiva idea! Nyt sie et sit ikinä raaski heittää noita pois sit ku Matilda ei enää käytä niitä :D Kivannäkösiä!

    ReplyDelete